Crawford County, Missouri
Crawford County is approximately 80 miles southwest of St. Louis, with Interstate Highway 44 as our major thoroughfare.
The County is named after Georgia Senator William H. Crawford, former United States Secretary of War and Secretary of the Treasury. It is one of the 114 counties in the state of Missouri.
Crawford County was established in 1829 and the County Seat of Steelville was laid out in 1836. The original section of the existing courthouse was built in 1885-86 after fires had destroyed three previous courthouses. Additions to the current courthouse were made in 1974. For further historical information on the courthouse click here. Other historic, regional, political and demographic information can be found on the *Related Links* page from the Main Menu.